Friday, January 28, 2011

Craving updates: Roti John

Salam,
When my husband and I were talking last night, I had a sudden urge of a new craving coming. And not only it's rare, i'm not even sure it still exist. I used to burn all my school allowance on these road-side stall snack. My favourite version was this stall in front of the shoplots near my house. The version was the simple version, not these complicated and sauced drenched ones like they have it now...If I wanted a sloppy joe, then I would have asked for it. But no, this time my difficult craving goes to this 1995 road side stall 'Roti John'. The EXACT specific one, because i suddenly remember how good it was. I remember being 8/9 years old and hoping for this yummy treat for RM1.50. I loved it so much, I was eating them at least one everyday. EVERYDAY.



What is Roti John? Some claims it originated from Singapore, some said it originated here from Malaysia. I don't find it matter. It is a type of omellete sandwich, made from egg, onions, minced meat, tomato sauce, mayonaisse and a loaf of long bun/bread (roti).

This is how you make Roti John.

First, you beat 1/2 eggs with some little minced meat, a little curry powder, chopped onions, mayonaisse and a little salt and pepper. Beat all these ingredient good. Then cut a long bun/baguette (hot dog bread works fine), into half and butter each side. Slightly pan fry (flat pan) them just to heat the bread, then scoop a big spoonfull of your little egg mixture and pour it on the flat pan. Place the buttered surface bread/bun (face down) on top of the frying egg mixture and keep them down as it cook. Flatten it as it cooks. Do the same, on the other half of the bread/bun. Repeat as many as you want. To serve, put the two half of the bread back together, and sandwich them with sliced cucumber, some ketchup (or my case sweet chillie sauce), and some mayonaisse if you prefer, in between those two half. Cut them to little sections and Nom-nom-nom away....



Now, where can I find that hot dog bun at this time of hour...*hmmm*

No comments: