Monday, July 12, 2010

Holier Than Thou

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Salam ya'll,
How many of us have crossed path with sisters or brother, or even finding ourselves looking at other people especially among our sisters and brothers of faith, and started criticizing how he/she brings herself through their everyday life? Let's be honest, there's no one to judge you now, are there? True, except God is everywhere, knowing every thought, every glance, every news we throw out there. So, let's take a moment to find in our soul, that we have wronged ourselves and also our brother's and sister's for having such thought, Astaghfirullah alazim. May Allah forgive our ignorance, may we find awareness in the future.

I have encountered with a situation where a guy smirked and said, "she can be pretty, but she's a kufar", and continued laughing with his friends. Although, the girl was not the 'ideal' muslim we all want to be, it still does not give any right for someone who 'follow' God's rule better than the other to feel that he/she is better than anyone. I call this attitude the 'Holier than Thou' attitude.

"What right has one servant to say that he alone is the genuine servant while the other is not?One may argue that his understanding is correct, bu this does not give him the authority to expel anyone from Islam"-Sayyid Al Mawdudi

At ignorant times, i found myself 'judging' those who act not to my liking, and i remembered my younger sister point out something to me. She reminded me that before my spiritual inclinement, I too was acting that up to a certain extent. That was like a slap on my face. I felt like digging a big hole and bury my head in it. The fact that God made me see a light through my darkest sinful self, it does not mean automatically i'm heaven material. Nor does it mean that i am SAFE, for the rest of my life. It does not give me any right at all to think that i am better than anyone. The fact that HE can take it all back, as fast as i saw the light, scared me so much.

I'm currently reading 'Let us be Muslims' by Sayyid Abul A'la Mawdudi. I'm still going through it, but at the beginning of the book, the author asked questions to muslim whether if we are truly a 'MUSLIM'. As we claim our Syahadah, its a life long journey to that point on and continue for us to be aware how obedient and submitting we are to the word of God and His messenger. If we sit on our laurels, leaning on our 'religion label' as aspect to be 'heaven-material' then, really, who are we really kidding?

Its not an odd scenario where we find a group of 'pious' man, urging and persisting, thus even forcing the 'unpious' one just because they're wearing turbans and the latter is wearing a jeans an a t-shirt. I am in no position to argue that spreading the message of God is our duty, but to a point to discriminate and be extremely patronizing, is something i find myself even ashame to admit. My cousin is studying in the UK, he told me the other day that he's sad that his friends are ignoring him. I asked why, he said that these 'pious' men who he calls friend ignored him because he couldn't follow them spread the message because he is busy with University assignment. I gasp at this. I asked ignored how, and he said they just go around him like an empty space, like he is not there, totally ignored his question even his existence. I was shocked and to tell you the truth, dissapointed.

InsyaAllah, let this be a reminder for us that there are more civilized way of spreading good message. One of it, is by our own behaviour. Thus, action speaks louder than words. To those who are seeking, the eyes will open, the heart will learn the beauty, by much allowance from God. Instead of looking out like we have something to fix, its best we look ourselved and 'fix' ourselves good for the Love of God. Instead of looking what is wrong on others, and damn the others to Hell, why can't we look deep in our wronged self and pray that we all can see goodness of truth and together blessed in Heaven? Instead of aiming heaven or hell, why can't we ourselves submit to Him entirely, by loving His mercy and fearing his wrath.

"O Believers, believe in God and His Messenger , and the Book He is sending down upon His Messenger, and the Book He sent down before" (Quran 4:136)

"If a people possess Allah's book and still live in disgrace, then you will have to concede that there is something wrong in your claim to be Muslims"-Sayyid Al Mawdudi

May Allah put in ourseves to be humble among society, in the journey to Him and be steadfast in our duty as His servant. May He forgive our mistakes and let us all learn from it for the Love of God. Let us all be peaceful, let us all be submitting to Him, let us all be Muslims. Amen.

Love+Peace,
H

No comments: